This post contains affiliate links and referral codes. If you shop from my blog, I may be compensated for clicks or purchases that you make. Thank you for supporting my brand. Read my disclaimer page for more information.
The day has finally come where I purchased my first DSLR camera. I must say it was a hard choice but I’m glad I finally made the purchase. The past 16 months I’ve been blogging via my Iphone 7+. There’s nothing wrong with that but I needed something more. Especially how well the blog has been doing etc. I rounded up a photography guide for the beginner.
What brand to choose:
When picking a camera you have many different options. I’m obviously a beginner., going from an Iphone 7+ to a dslr camera are two totally different things. Choosing your brand is something up to you. At first I was so sure I was going to go with a Sony Mirrorless Camera. After picking and choosing between the price and options especially as a beginner I decided to purchase the Nikon D3300. It’s not the newest on the market but it’s definitely something I felt comfortable with. Plus is smaller than a Canon so you can take it when travelling and won’t feel super clumpy.
Places to purchase:
I could go on and on but there are a few key places you can search for cameras.
- Target: They recently had a great bundle deal for the Cannon t6 for under $600. You weren’t able to purchase online but in store. This is also great to see what you wanting to buy before you actual do.
- Best Buy: This is where I first saw the mirrorless cameras I’ve talking about. You won’t find anything under $500 for these types of cameras.
- Amazon.com: Of course. Amazon is one of the best places to purchase many things from. I’ve never purchased electronics from Amazon so I cannot say on that end.
- Jet.com: Have you guys heard of Jet.com? If not you don’t know what you’re missing. After deciding I wanted a Nikon this retailer came up and I am so glad they did. I ended up saving so much money.
Other items you may need:
- Tripod: This one is my second and I love it. Plus it is really affordable. Under $30. I decided on this one because it had great quality. Plus it came with the smart phone adapter so I was able to start using it even when I using my Iphone.
- SD Card Reader: I still run my blog via a Chromebook. The offset about that is, it only has the micro SD card insert. The bundle that my camera came with included two 32GB SD cards.
- SD Card: There are two different types you can purchase. This one or a micro SD card that comes with an adapter.
- Lens Pen: This helps clean out your lens safely.
- Camera Strap Cover: In case you don’t like the dull black one that comes with your camera.
- Wireless Remote: If you’re a blogger or mom I’m sure you don’t always have a photographer or husband around. That means these remotes will be your best friend.
- Camera Bag: If you don’t like the generic kind this one is pretty stylish.
- Light Disc Reflector: I purchased one of these a couple of weeks ago. I haven’t been able to use them but I was recommended to purchase especially since I focus on style, product and food shots. Plus this one is small when you get it. Once you take it out it transforms into the big thing you see professionals using.
- Full Lens Cleaner: This whole set helps keep your camera clean from particles etc.
Make sure you buy whatever you are comfortable in the end. You will be the one using the camera and accessing it.